Mustela knows that nothing is more precious than your baby, and so safety and efficiency have been absolute priorities from the beginning. Drawing on the expertise of Expanscience Laboratories, Mustela pursues continuous research on babies' skin, putting its products through the strictest testing procedures before launching them in the market. When you choose Mustela, you can be sure that you are choosing a product that is safe and effective, and one that will remain so from the first to the last time that you use it.
Formula in perfect harmony with skin
Mustela is extremely careful about ingredients included in our products for babies' skin, pregnant women and new mothers:
- Each formula factors in the specific needs of the skin of babies (both healthy skin and problem skin), new mothers and pregnant women when it is developed.
- All Mustela products are hypoallergenic: this means they do not contain any irritants and are specially formulated to minimize the risk of allergic reactions. Medical tests carried out by specialist independent laboratories are used to confirm the products' tolerance.
- Many other questionable ingredients are excluded from use in Mustela products. These include parabens, phenoxyethanol, phthalates, EDTA and chlorphenesin.
- Whenever possible, Mustela tries to use ingredients that are natural or of natural origin: currently, Mustela Bébé products contain 92% ingredients of natural origin on average.
- Avocado Perseose®, a natural active ingredient that is used in most products in the Mustela Bébé range, has been selected because it works in perfect harmony with the most fragile skin types: with its biomimetic properties, it combines maximum tolerance and targeted effectiveness.
Mustela pays particular attention to the preservation of its products, providing its users with peace of mind in relation to their safety:
- Questionable preservatives, such as parabens and phenoxyethanol, are excluded from use in Mustela products.
- Mustela only uses preservatives that have been approved by health authorities and have been found to be both efficient and completely safe when used on the most sensitive skin types.
- The way in which Mustela formula are designed (what pH they are and what ingredients are used) and the microbiological tests carried out on each one play a key role in determining how the products should be stored.
- Some Mustela products, such as those intended for intolerant or easily-irritated skin (STELAPROTECT line), contain absolutely no preservatives. Instead they are vacuum-packed in special airless containers, ensuring that they do not have any contact with the air and environment around them, thus minimising any risk of contamination.
- Because they are stored so effectively, Mustela products can be kept for at least 30 months after their date of manufacture. Their expiry date is shown on each product's packaging by this logo:
|Dangers associated with improper storage!
Because products for babies are usually used in the bathroom – a warm and humid environment – bacteria and mould can easily develop. If these gems contaminate the products, they can lead to infections - and babies' skin is particularly prone to infection. For safety reasons, Mustela products must be stored properly.
Strict safety regulation
Because you can never be too careful when it comes to the fragile skin of babies – as well as that of new and expectant mothers – Mustela has adopted a series of specific regulations that are particularly strict in relation to the development of its products.
These are even stricter than those imposed by official regulatory requirements:
Before being selected, each Mustela formula undergoes a whole battery of testing in order to confirm that it is completely safe: cutaneous and ocular tolerance tests, hypoallergenic and/or photo-toxicity tests, etc. To confirm the safety and effectiveness of its products in as exhaustive a way as possible, our research scientists are the first in the world to use baby skin that has been grown in laboratory conditions in order to carry out some of the tests.
Mustela 9 Months products undergo special tests. These are carried out by an independent toxicology specialist, the aim being to prove that there is absolutely no risk to the unborn child or babies being breastfed.
The effectiveness of Mustela products is assessed by a whole battery of usage tests and/or clinical trials carried out by dermatological, paediatric and/or gynaecological specialists.
Checks during and after manufacture
Mustela products are checked at various stages of their manufacture in order to make sure that they have not been contaminated by bacteria, and to verify that their formula is stable.
Then even after they have been launched onto the market, Mustela products continue to be checked by a cosmetic monitoring system: if an undesirable effect is reported, it is immediately analysed in order to determine the cause the problem and provide a solution.